I designed the final layout of illustration which is a smiley shy girl hiding behind a pillar, waiting for her boy,there are some butterflies floating over her head, as the imagery of her sincere love and lovely mood,which I think can match the song perfectly.
Tuesday, 12 April 2011
Sunday, 10 April 2011
For the background design I decided to use my own photograph of flowers and add digital effect in software. As I mentioned early in this project, I'd like to use blossoms and butterflies to create romantic and floating feelings. I selected one of my floral images and adjusted its color in Photoshop. I turned the image into warm yellow to create a sunshine effect.
Paper butterfly design
Inspired by Villinsky's butterfly art work and other mixed media illustrations,I decided to design a butterfly character for my illustration by using paper. Firstly I drew the outline of a butterfly and then cut its body and wings out, folded it and pasted them together to produce a 3D effect. After that I photographed it and changed it in to pink in Photoshop.
Friday, 8 April 2011
Girl character design 2
These are my second girl character design. I did a sketch first and I scanned in my PC, re-colored it and fixed the details in Photoshop. I am very happy that I came up with this design, it seems that the girl is smiling and thinking of something, or someone. The design gives me a romantic feeling and I think it really fits the title of the song- Lost in Paradise.
Tuesday, 5 April 2011
I did some rough drawings of girls on my pad and I selected one of them to work on in Photoshop as experiment. I don't know what exactly the character I want to come up with, but I am likely to design a smiling and lovely girl as the main character for the illustration. I don't think I will use the design above in my final, instead I am trying to design a girl character with clear expressions then the audience can feel the atmosphere by looking at her.
Friday, 1 April 2011
Background design experiments
I have done some rough drawings with watercolour and wax for the background design experimenting. The reason I chose to play with these two materials is they can't be mixed with each other. The process was atually quite enjoyable as I can put colours on the top with big brushes and don not need to avoid the white space,which are coverd by wax. However I wasn't happy when the effect came out as the dry wax drop off the paper easily, I think there's a better way to do this which is using masking-fuid-liquid.
I made these two blured background with oil pastels, I drew a lot of dots at first and then blur them into each other by my fingers. I really like this adorable effect as if there are many confluence which are shrouded in mist.